I’ve just been going through Pinterest a lot lately trying to find new recipes of things for us to try. We like to try and keep it somewhat healthy, and since we’re really trying to save for the wedding, we’ve agreed to cut out spending on eating out. We are forcing ourselves to go grocery shopping every week and actually stick to a meal plan!
I think I was looking for crock pot recipes when I found this recipe. We glanced at the ingredients list and knew it would be good. Also the fact that its based on Olive Garden’s recipe was a clear give away of yum. It was surprisingly filling, too. Loaded with bacon, sausage, potatoes and kale. All the better because you only use ONE pan to make it!
The best thing about making this was there was actually enough for multiple meals! Jake eats maybe 2-3 times as me, so typically he will finish off anything I make. Not this one, though! I actually get to take it to work tomorrow for lunch. We also decided to make it with Red Lobster cheddar biscuits and that part might not be the most healthy but oh my gosh was it GOOD.
So, without further ado:
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 16 oz spicy Italian sausage
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1/3 large yellow onion, minced
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced (this thing is amazing)
- 28 oz low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 5 medium russest potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper for taste
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Brown the sausage in a large pot
- Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside
- Cut bacon up into small pieces
- Add bacon to sausage pot and cook until crispy.
- Stir in the chopped onion with the bacon. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken broth and water to the pot. Add crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Add thinly sliced potatoes and the cooked sausage to the pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Continue cooking until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the kale to the soup and simmer for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the heavy whipping cream and let it heat throughout another few minutes.
- Serve immediately and top with Parmesan cheese!
- I HIGHLY recommend adding the Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits because they taste AMAZING together!!