How I Doubled my Traffic from Instagram

double blog traffic

As a blogger, a big part of what makes my blog happen is my Instagram. It’s my largest following and generates a lot of my business.

I had been struggling for a while with how to increase my traffic from my Instagram and convert it over to my blog where people can see ALLL of my content instead of just the outfit shots.

The way most bloggers have things set up is with Linktree, a linking service that lets you take the most advantage of the ONE profile link you can have in your Instagram profile.

But one link doesn’t do much for me if I want to be able to talk about and promote multiple things at once and not have to change the link every day! Sometimes people find my posts via hashtags a few days later, so that would do them no good.

The sad truth is, not many people will want to actually search for the information if it isn’t already there, readily available. Once their interest is piqued, you have to deliver quickly and make it as easy as possible.

I get a fair amount of traffic from Instagram, but I also knew it wasn’t near where I wanted it to be, and part of my 2019 goals is to get better at converting more of my IG family over to my blog (so they can get all the good stuff!).

I recently decided to play around with my link and see what kind of difference it made. First I tried just linking to my “shop” page, as that’s the most common thing people click for. But what about the other posts I’m telling my followers to look at? All of my blog posts I want to promote?

double blog traffic

I also personally noticed a few issues with Linktree. It was very helpful for the time I used it, but sometimes the links don’t work and it gives an error message when my link was perfectly fine. So that lost me some traffic.

There were also a few times people would click the link and a popup would stop them saying “you’re about to leave Instagram, click to continue”, which could also kill my traffic as people look at that and think “Ok, what is this link leading me to if I’m being warned about leaving Instagram for it?”.

When I thought about all this, I decided I should just make my OWN landing page. So I did.

And the result was EXACTLY what I wanted! My traffic DOUBLED.

Think about all the people that just click the Linktree link in your profile. That takes them to that specific landing page. Those are WASTED CLICKS! They’re going to a middle man site, when they could be going directly to your blog.

Well now, it DOES bring them directly to my blog to a page I created just for Instagram. My own landing page. Once they get to that page, they can click one of the “buttons” I made, or just look around on their own. But they’re already here, where I want them to be!

Now, I’ll walk you through how I did this; it’s SUPER easy!

First, create a new page on your blog. I named mine “Instagram Links”. You can name it whatever you want, but think about it because that link will be what stays in your profile!

Next, I used Canva to make my buttons. Really they’re just pictures with links, but they look like buttons. People LOVE to click buttons. You can also change this up and use pictures, featured images or whatever you want.

I used buttons because as a lot of my Instagram traffic is from Mobile phones, I wanted more to show up on the screen at a time.

In Canva, I did custom dimensions and used 800 x 100 for my buttons. I used my typical color scheme and font to maintain my branding.

Once they were done, I downloaded them all and uploaded them as a separate area on the page. In the new WordPress (it’s weird, y’all, I’m still not used to it), you can create sections, as shown below. Click the “image” option (highlighted).

I put each image as its own “section” so that I could change or delete them and move them up and down easily.

Once I uploaded all of the pictures, I went over to the side in the Block section, and toward the bottom, it says “Link Settings”. Where it says “none” click that and a drop down comes up. Select “custom URL” and paste the corresponding link in there.

Do this for all of the “buttons”. Once you’re done, hit Publish and copy that link into your Instagram profile!

Now all of those clicks that were directing people elsewhere are directing them RIGHT to your blog where you can share as much knowledge as you have to offer with them!

Hopefully you find this as helpful as I did and can take full advantage of all those extra clicks!!

10 Comments

1. Zarina wrote:

Hey Dani, thanks for sharing your experience here! I have no idea what Linktree is (haha!), but I really like your solution of the ‘buttons’ on the special Instagram page on your website! I’ll keep that tip in mind. It might come in handy for me too 😉 Thanks again and good luck with everything! x

Posted 1.21.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

I’m so glad you found it helpful Zarina!! Thank you for reading!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply
  2. Debbie wrote:

This is a great idea – one I hadn’t thought of doing before but so much better than my linktree. I’m definitely going to be working on this this weekend! Thanks for sharing!!

Posted 1.24.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

I’m so glad it helped and hopefully has the same results for you!!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply
  3. Renee wrote:

This is so good! Love how easy you did this and how you explained every step! I know my next project for sure!! So good!!

Posted 1.24.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

Aw thank you Renee!! I want everyone to be able to use this and benefit like I did!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply
  4. Mariam wrote:

Thank you for posting this step by step tutorial. I followed all of your steps and custom created my own link-tree 🙂 It was so easy.

Posted 1.24.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

That’s fantastic, I’m so glad!! Thank you for reading!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply
  5. This was SO helpful. I love this idea. I have gone back and forth with Linktree but this seems like a better longterm solution. Thank you.

Posted 1.24.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

I’m so glad you found it helpful!! I went back and forth, too, but no need for the middle man anymore!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply

Instagram

• 🥰Our first Valentine’s Day being married was so special! Nothing like getting a beautiful arrangement of roses, right ladies?! Jake had them use pink and lavender roses and lavender sprigs between them to fill it out instead of baby’s breath. It smells so good!! I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine’s Day ❤️
  • Happy Valentine’s Day!! I’m working on a little DIY a project today 😍 can’t wait to be done and see the finished result. And to celebrate ❤️ day with hubby later! I hope everyone has a wonderful day filled with love. P.S. — 2 years ago I was single on Valentine’s Day and I made myself a whole cake 🎂 so don’t be afraid to treat yo’self 😎 just sayin! http://liketk.it/2zVm3 #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • The weather in the Midwest is crazy, y’all. It’s been nice the last 2 days (in the 50s) and it’s gonna snow this weekend. I’m so ready for Spring!!! 🌷
I’ve been putting together a really fun capsule wardrobe for this season to help with those transitional months before it really gets warm. I’m excited to share it all with you soon!! 😍 Happy 🐪 day!! http://liketk.it/2zTTb #liketkit @liketoknow.it
#fashiondailypost #kcblogger #midwestblogger #weekendstyle #casualoutfit #casualchic #weekendstyle #outfitstyle #styleonabudget #outfitdetails #womensfashionpost #stylesocietykc #bossgirlbloggers #modernmodesty #americanstyles #outfitposts #ltkstylestip #fashionposts #amazondeals #iadorewhatiwore #springlooks #springoutfit #springstyle #springfashion #shopthelook #stylehunter #womenwithstyle
  • Comfy casual for errands is my style 👌🏻 also I love this hat because on the days I don’t feel like doing anything with my hair, hats are a lifesaver. And dry shampoo 😂. I put a poll up on my stories yesterday asking if you guys want to see a series of posts on #cozyminimalism and the answer was an overwhelming yes! I’ve already started working on them and will start posting next week so stay tuned!! In the mean time, check out my post on 12 ways you’re wasting money on clothes and how to stop. We’re all guilty of it 🤷🏻‍♀️. Click the link in my profile to read!  http://liketk.it/2zSzn #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • Fun fact day about my wonderful husband: Jake has this uncanny ability to make me smile and laugh even when I’m sick. I was in bed all weekend but somehow he managed to still make me feel better.
He is the king of puns and loves to make corny jokes. I’m talking real bad dad jokes. But I think they’re hilarious, and his enthusiasm and the fact that HE finds them so funny is the best part.

It’s the little things like this that showed me he was my perfect person. That and he told me he was going to marry me after 3 weeks of dating 😂🤷🏻‍♀️ which also made my laugh at the time but 9 months later he was down on one knee!
That was also the same day I tried to break up with him because I had just gotten out of a bad relationship and I was starting to like him way too much too soon. I told him I wasn’t ready for another relationship and he literally said “are you trying to break up with me? ...no. We’re gonna get married.” I busted out laughing but he was so serious.
Even then, I could tell he really believed that. Now 4 months into our marriage he still shows me every day he wants to be married to me ❤️👰🏻🤵🏻 We have to appreciate the little things like the bad jokes because the effort behind them is how people say “I love you” in other ways. Happy Monday 💕#marriedlife💍 #marriagegoals
  • It’s Friday!! Every day we deal with this intense cold, it’s a day closer to Spring 🌷😍. Shop this look at DaniThom.com or via the link in my profile 💕 http://liketk.it/2zNRA #liketkit @liketoknow.it

the latest from @danithomblog