How I Doubled my Traffic from Instagram

double blog traffic

As a blogger, a big part of what makes my blog happen is my Instagram. It’s my largest following and generates a lot of my business.

I had been struggling for a while with how to increase my traffic from my Instagram and convert it over to my blog where people can see ALLL of my content instead of just the outfit shots.

The way most bloggers have things set up is with Linktree, a linking service that lets you take the most advantage of the ONE profile link you can have in your Instagram profile.

But one link doesn’t do much for me if I want to be able to talk about and promote multiple things at once and not have to change the link every day! Sometimes people find my posts via hashtags a few days later, so that would do them no good.

The sad truth is, not many people will want to actually search for the information if it isn’t already there, readily available. Once their interest is piqued, you have to deliver quickly and make it as easy as possible.

I get a fair amount of traffic from Instagram, but I also knew it wasn’t near where I wanted it to be, and part of my 2019 goals is to get better at converting more of my IG family over to my blog (so they can get all the good stuff!).

I recently decided to play around with my link and see what kind of difference it made. First I tried just linking to my “shop” page, as that’s the most common thing people click for. But what about the other posts I’m telling my followers to look at? All of my blog posts I want to promote?

double blog traffic

I also personally noticed a few issues with Linktree. It was very helpful for the time I used it, but sometimes the links don’t work and it gives an error message when my link was perfectly fine. So that lost me some traffic.

There were also a few times people would click the link and a popup would stop them saying “you’re about to leave Instagram, click to continue”, which could also kill my traffic as people look at that and think “Ok, what is this link leading me to if I’m being warned about leaving Instagram for it?”.

When I thought about all this, I decided I should just make my OWN landing page. So I did.

And the result was EXACTLY what I wanted! My traffic DOUBLED.

Think about all the people that just click the Linktree link in your profile. That takes them to that specific landing page. Those are WASTED CLICKS! They’re going to a middle man site, when they could be going directly to your blog.

Well now, it DOES bring them directly to my blog to a page I created just for Instagram. My own landing page. Once they get to that page, they can click one of the “buttons” I made, or just look around on their own. But they’re already here, where I want them to be!

Now, I’ll walk you through how I did this; it’s SUPER easy!

First, create a new page on your blog. I named mine “Instagram Links”. You can name it whatever you want, but think about it because that link will be what stays in your profile!

Next, I used Canva to make my buttons. Really they’re just pictures with links, but they look like buttons. People LOVE to click buttons. You can also change this up and use pictures, featured images or whatever you want.

I used buttons because as a lot of my Instagram traffic is from Mobile phones, I wanted more to show up on the screen at a time.

In Canva, I did custom dimensions and used 800 x 100 for my buttons. I used my typical color scheme and font to maintain my branding.

Once they were done, I downloaded them all and uploaded them as a separate area on the page. In the new WordPress (it’s weird, y’all, I’m still not used to it), you can create sections, as shown below. Click the “image” option (highlighted).

I put each image as its own “section” so that I could change or delete them and move them up and down easily.

Once I uploaded all of the pictures, I went over to the side in the Block section, and toward the bottom, it says “Link Settings”. Where it says “none” click that and a drop down comes up. Select “custom URL” and paste the corresponding link in there.

Do this for all of the “buttons”. Once you’re done, hit Publish and copy that link into your Instagram profile!

Now all of those clicks that were directing people elsewhere are directing them RIGHT to your blog where you can share as much knowledge as you have to offer with them!

Hopefully you find this as helpful as I did and can take full advantage of all those extra clicks!!

10 Comments

1. Zarina wrote:

Hey Dani, thanks for sharing your experience here! I have no idea what Linktree is (haha!), but I really like your solution of the ‘buttons’ on the special Instagram page on your website! I’ll keep that tip in mind. It might come in handy for me too 😉 Thanks again and good luck with everything! x

Posted 1.21.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

I’m so glad you found it helpful Zarina!! Thank you for reading!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply
  2. Debbie wrote:

This is a great idea – one I hadn’t thought of doing before but so much better than my linktree. I’m definitely going to be working on this this weekend! Thanks for sharing!!

Posted 1.24.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

I’m so glad it helped and hopefully has the same results for you!!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply
  3. Renee wrote:

This is so good! Love how easy you did this and how you explained every step! I know my next project for sure!! So good!!

Posted 1.24.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

Aw thank you Renee!! I want everyone to be able to use this and benefit like I did!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply
  4. Mariam wrote:

Thank you for posting this step by step tutorial. I followed all of your steps and custom created my own link-tree 🙂 It was so easy.

Posted 1.24.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

That’s fantastic, I’m so glad!! Thank you for reading!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply
  5. This was SO helpful. I love this idea. I have gone back and forth with Linktree but this seems like a better longterm solution. Thank you.

Posted 1.24.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

I’m so glad you found it helpful!! I went back and forth, too, but no need for the middle man anymore!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply

Instagram

• Enjoying a wonderful long weekend trip to Wisconsin visiting Jake’s older brother and enjoying allll the cheese curds 🧀
I’m working on limiting my social media activity and only taking one picture to capture a moment instead of 30 trying to get them perfect. It’s been a nice side effect of minimalism and it’s helping me learn to not be so concerned with what others think, stop playing the comparison game, and live in the moment. I’m much more relaxed and happy without all the unnecessary drama and stress of the world. Definitely recommend trying it out if you struggle with anxiety like I do ❤️
  • I’m not a big selfie person so here’s one with my little ham to make it better while I show you my new hair🤳🏻
. 💇🏻‍♀️ I’ve cut off 8+ inches of my hair since my wedding. This last cut over the weekend was the big finale, an additional 4 inches off. Doing it slowly made it less of a shock and helped me confirm it was really what I wanted. This is the shortest my hair has been since I was 5!! My mom used to cut it and gave me a mullet once sooo I’ve kept it long ever since 🤣🤦🏻‍♀️ My sister @juliestanbridge loooves to tell that story to anyone that’ll listen. I was definitely ready for a change and I’m thrilled with this length. .

I’m really enjoying the simplicity of less makeup and less hair care lately 😌 it takes me 15 minutes to wake up and get ready every morning, including making coffee and my lunch! I feel more beautiful in my own skin which has been a life long struggle, laugh lines and all. This simple life is more than I ever expected in so many ways and keeps getting better as I go. How could your life be better with less?
  • Today is a happy excuse to share some wedding photos ❤️ .

I’d be so lost without my mom and sister. I’m so blessed to have such a close relationship with them both. It wasn’t always this way but I’m glad that as I grew up, I realized how much I needed them both. They’re my rocks. .

I’m thankful for my mother-in-law because she’s accepted me wholeheartedly into the family and she raised my amazing husband and taught him how to treat me. Not everyone is so lucky to actually love their in-laws so I really appreciate this and don’t take it for granted!

I’m thankful for my Godmother, Kim, my best friend Courtney’s momma who is literally like a second mom to me and I love her whole family dearly ❤️ they’re a constant blessing. .

And Happy Mother’s Day to the moms out there like me who hold their babies in their hearts instead of their arms 👼🏻 You are celebrated today, too! #happymothersday
  • Getting rid of the extra stuff in our house we never used has been the best way of keeping it clean and organized. Everything has a place. There are still pictures on the walls and decor items on the shelves, but I don’t feel the need to have EVERY INCH decorated like I used to. It’s nice to have more open space, it looks and feels bigger! .

I always thought I was disorganized, but the truth is I just had too much stuff. Because let’s be real, if organizing your stuff actually worked, wouldn’t you be done by now?
  • Happy Saturday ❤️ I’ve been super inspired to write lately so I’m working on multiple blog posts. It feels so good to write again.

When I started talking about minimalism instead of fashion, my engagement dropped dramatically. Like, 70% probably. It was pretty upsetting in the beginning, not gonna lie. .

But likes and comments and followers aren’t what matter. The people that followed me before followed me for something I’m not talking about anymore, so that change is really ok with me. I’m appealing to a new audience now and I love that. I want to provide value to you guys, it’s the only thing that motivates me. I don’t post just to post anymore. I just had to realize that the people that are left still want to hear what I have to say, so I keep going for you! Thank you for being here ❤️
  • I’ve really been enjoying my time away from social media, but I also still enjoy mindlessly scrolling through pretty pictures sometimes. Life is all about balance. I see a lot of my fellow bloggers also struggle with the balance of creating a successful page and knowing when to give ourselves a break. It can be overwhelming! .

I put up a new blog post today about why I decided to give up on my shopping ban and instead focus on a LOW buy year and not a NO buy year. The main reason is it makes more sense for my life because things have come up and I don’t want to guilt myself into not buying something if it will make my life a bit easier. Minimalism is not about deprivation, it’s about intentionality. You can see the post at DaniThom.com via the link in my bio ❤️

the latest from @danithomblog