How I Doubled my Traffic from Instagram

double blog traffic

As a blogger, a big part of what makes my blog happen is my Instagram. It’s my largest following and generates a lot of my business.

I had been struggling for a while with how to increase my traffic from my Instagram and convert it over to my blog where people can see ALLL of my content instead of just the outfit shots.

The way most bloggers have things set up is with Linktree, a linking service that lets you take the most advantage of the ONE profile link you can have in your Instagram profile.

But one link doesn’t do much for me if I want to be able to talk about and promote multiple things at once and not have to change the link every day! Sometimes people find my posts via hashtags a few days later, so that would do them no good.

The sad truth is, not many people will want to actually search for the information if it isn’t already there, readily available. Once their interest is piqued, you have to deliver quickly and make it as easy as possible.

I get a fair amount of traffic from Instagram, but I also knew it wasn’t near where I wanted it to be, and part of my 2019 goals is to get better at converting more of my IG family over to my blog (so they can get all the good stuff!).

I recently decided to play around with my link and see what kind of difference it made. First I tried just linking to my “shop” page, as that’s the most common thing people click for. But what about the other posts I’m telling my followers to look at? All of my blog posts I want to promote?

double blog traffic

I also personally noticed a few issues with Linktree. It was very helpful for the time I used it, but sometimes the links don’t work and it gives an error message when my link was perfectly fine. So that lost me some traffic.

There were also a few times people would click the link and a popup would stop them saying “you’re about to leave Instagram, click to continue”, which could also kill my traffic as people look at that and think “Ok, what is this link leading me to if I’m being warned about leaving Instagram for it?”.

When I thought about all this, I decided I should just make my OWN landing page. So I did.

And the result was EXACTLY what I wanted! My traffic DOUBLED.

Think about all the people that just click the Linktree link in your profile. That takes them to that specific landing page. Those are WASTED CLICKS! They’re going to a middle man site, when they could be going directly to your blog.

Well now, it DOES bring them directly to my blog to a page I created just for Instagram. My own landing page. Once they get to that page, they can click one of the “buttons” I made, or just look around on their own. But they’re already here, where I want them to be!

Now, I’ll walk you through how I did this; it’s SUPER easy!

First, create a new page on your blog. I named mine “Instagram Links”. You can name it whatever you want, but think about it because that link will be what stays in your profile!

Next, I used Canva to make my buttons. Really they’re just pictures with links, but they look like buttons. People LOVE to click buttons. You can also change this up and use pictures, featured images or whatever you want.

I used buttons because as a lot of my Instagram traffic is from Mobile phones, I wanted more to show up on the screen at a time.

In Canva, I did custom dimensions and used 800 x 100 for my buttons. I used my typical color scheme and font to maintain my branding.

Once they were done, I downloaded them all and uploaded them as a separate area on the page. In the new WordPress (it’s weird, y’all, I’m still not used to it), you can create sections, as shown below. Click the “image” option (highlighted).

I put each image as its own “section” so that I could change or delete them and move them up and down easily.

Once I uploaded all of the pictures, I went over to the side in the Block section, and toward the bottom, it says “Link Settings”. Where it says “none” click that and a drop down comes up. Select “custom URL” and paste the corresponding link in there.

Do this for all of the “buttons”. Once you’re done, hit Publish and copy that link into your Instagram profile!

Now all of those clicks that were directing people elsewhere are directing them RIGHT to your blog where you can share as much knowledge as you have to offer with them!

Hopefully you find this as helpful as I did and can take full advantage of all those extra clicks!!

10 Comments

1. Zarina wrote:

Hey Dani, thanks for sharing your experience here! I have no idea what Linktree is (haha!), but I really like your solution of the ‘buttons’ on the special Instagram page on your website! I’ll keep that tip in mind. It might come in handy for me too 😉 Thanks again and good luck with everything! x

Posted 1.21.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

I’m so glad you found it helpful Zarina!! Thank you for reading!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply
  2. Debbie wrote:

This is a great idea – one I hadn’t thought of doing before but so much better than my linktree. I’m definitely going to be working on this this weekend! Thanks for sharing!!

Posted 1.24.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

I’m so glad it helped and hopefully has the same results for you!!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply
  3. Renee wrote:

This is so good! Love how easy you did this and how you explained every step! I know my next project for sure!! So good!!

Posted 1.24.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

Aw thank you Renee!! I want everyone to be able to use this and benefit like I did!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply
  4. Mariam wrote:

Thank you for posting this step by step tutorial. I followed all of your steps and custom created my own link-tree 🙂 It was so easy.

Posted 1.24.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

That’s fantastic, I’m so glad!! Thank you for reading!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply
  5. This was SO helpful. I love this idea. I have gone back and forth with Linktree but this seems like a better longterm solution. Thank you.

Posted 1.24.19 Reply
    • Dani Thompson wrote:

I’m so glad you found it helpful!! I went back and forth, too, but no need for the middle man anymore!

Posted 1.27.19 Reply

Instagram

• Simple is always better. I tried so hard to figure out what I was going to wear for Easter. I spent a good hour trying things on the week before. I sent my sister tons of pictures asking her thoughts. In the end, I wasn’t really satisfied with any of them for some reason so I decided to just go with an outfit I know I love and feel good in. For some reason wearing white just makes me feel super put together. And I managed to not spill anything on myself or get chocolate on my pants which is a major win y’all. .

We don’t need to overthink things so much. It just causes unnecessary stress. I do like to plan ahead because it saves me time, but I also should have realized sooner that the dress I was trying to make work just wasn’t working. Even though I love that dress, it doesn’t flatter me how I want it to and it might be time to let it go. Don’t be afraid to let go of things that don’t give you exactly what you need. You don’t have to settle, something else will always come along. Or you probably already have something else in your closet (or life, this isn’t limited to clothes!) that’s even better than what you’re trying to make work!
  • Happy Easter 🐰❤️
  • Casual Good Friday ❤️ this was yesterday’s work outfit but I jazzed myself up before we went to church with Jakes mom and stepdad last night. I cried like a baby. Good Friday always both kicks my ass and reminds me how blessed we all are.
The beautiful KC weather this weekend is so exciting!! I’m so happy when it’s Spring weather 😍 Have a beautiful Saturday!!
  • “There is beauty in simplicity”
My simple wardrobe makes me so happy and I love the seemingly endless possibilities I have with it. Having a love of neutrals really works well for me with this!
Happy Good Friday ❤️
  • The only things in my life these days are the things I really want there. This isn’t limited to the stuff in my house and the clothes in my closet. This includes my job, relationships, hobbies, everything. I’ve even started eating better as a by-product of simplifying my life and I just feel better over all. .

By removing the things and people that don’t make me happy, I have more time and energy for the things that do that I used to put off and not prioritize like I should have. We spend so much of our lives being “busy”. But what are we busy with? Most of it is actually unimportant when you break it down. .

I say no to things much more now and that allows me to spend more of my time relaxing and enjoying life. I used to constantly feel rushed or like I should be doing something. If I wasn’t moving, I felt like I was wasting my time. But the truth is, resting and just being home with Jake and the boys is my happy place. It brings me so much joy, so that’s what my priority is. .

Having more time to just BE has been amazing. Being more picky in my relationships has helped me really value the ones I hold most dear and has brought me to an amazing new job because I wasn’t willing to settle for anything less. Respect yourself and your time and prioritize the things that matter most to you. Life’s too short to live any other way.
  • “When you love what you have, you have everything you need.” So many wonderful things have happened since I simplified my life. Changing my outlook on life wasn’t really intentional, but I’m so thankful it happened when it did. I was kind of at a breaking point. Fed up with where I was and how things were going with my old job. Struggling with depression and comparison. I knew something had to change but I had no idea what. Simplicity was that thing. .
Now, I spend way less time on social media. I deleted Facebook off my phone and haven’t  looked at it in weeks. I’m much happier without it. I read a lot more. I’m getting much better at ignoring the impulse to pick up my phone and when I am on it, to compare my life to the perfect pictures people post. I even cut a few inches off my hair! 💇🏻‍♀️ I want things as easy as they can be right now. It takes a lot of stress out of my life. Try to go a whole weekend without social media and see how awesome it feels!

the latest from @danithomblog